Why Gene Wilder Didn't Make A Movie In His Last 25 YearsAug-30-2016
Why Gene Wilder Didn't Make A Movie In His Last 25 Years
• Gene Wilder made more than enough iconic films to cement his legacy but during the later years of his life, Wilder appeared in almost nothing.
• His last feature film, "Another You," came out in 1991.
• Fans recently found out he had Alzheimers in the last three years of his life but why didn't he make movies before that?
• Perhaps an interview at New York's 92nd Street Y in 2013 sheds some light; Wilder explained how he had become disillusioned with the style of films that were gaining in popularity in Hollywood.
• "I didn't want to do the kind of junk that I was seeing," Wilder said during the interview. "I didn't want to do 3-D, for instance. I didn't want to do ones with loud bombing and swearing."
• "If something comes along that's really good and I think I would be good for it, I would be happy to do it. But not too many came along," Wilder said.
• But just because he was off camera doesn't mean he wasn't busy. After shying away from show business, Wilder wrote six books, including a few novels and a memoir.
Posted by staff at 7:58 PM
- Link to this entry
| Share this entry